Skip to main content

The Human Concern

by my friend: Pendarvis H.
“Hey, my name is Pen. I’ve been traveling around the Bay Area asking people what makes them mad and what they’re doing to fix it. May I interview you?”

I recited this phrase, or some variation thereof, so many times last Wednesday, that it started to lose meaning. Twelve hours of asking the same question to people, and even more time asking it to myself. It reminded me of that one day I said the word ‘spoon’ a million times and ended up thinking: Why in the hell did they call it that in the first place? What does it really mean? What does it all really mean!?!



At one point, I got mad at the question. At another point, I got angry with the premise of the project. The distance traveled pissed me off. The time it took to conduct the interviews annoyed me. The technology I was using made me frustrated a couple of times. And the people who wouldn’t speak to me — especially those who shut me down before I could fully state the aforementioned phrase — gave me the greatest inspiration to be mad.

I smiled as folks gave me disingenuous denials in a Subway restaurant near the Pittsburg BART station. I smiled just the same when a guy brushed me off as he rushed into the BART entrance at 24th and Mission. I looked past those interactions, and kept seeking people who’d answer my question.

At the end of the day, I sat in the Chipotle up the block from the Ferry Building on Market Street, filing my final interviews.
The 12 hours I spent running around the Bay speaking to people resulted in an eclectic collage of human concerns and resolutions. A 15-year-old African American boy blew my mind when he said that Black people made him mad — “the ghetto ones.” A cab driver in Pittsburgh caught me off guard when he let me know that self-medicating was the solution to his anger. A 79-year-old French woman, waiting at a bus stop in Richmond, explained that she lives by herself and doesn’t get mad at herself; hence, she is happy. And I believed her. And then there was 26-year-old Tommy Cross who explained, on his way to work, that the lack of opportunities for those who need them the most is what pisses him off. Tommy works in education, he told me, where he combats this struggle everyday.

In the end, I conducted 28 interviews on the record, and many others off the record. But the folks I spoke to in person were only part of the story. People all over the world responded to my initial Medium post with vivid, sometimes emotional accounts of what makes them mad, from drivers failing to stop for the disabled to the ugly fissures in Silicon Valley. Some wrote about feeling powerless; others condemned senseless acts of violence. One woman opened up about the danger she faces taking public transportation at night.

This tweet about sexual health caught my attention too:

There were a lot that I did not see coming: war in Yemen and pigeons in the Mission. Two teens named Hoods and Jetz, told me that the pebbles in the street make them mad; they can deal with the unwarranted filming and scooter kids, but the pebbles — there’s nothing they can do about those. I was humbled by Reese, a 31-year-old musician and audio engineer, who told me that he gets upset when people aren’t chasing their true purpose, their dream; a selfless concern if I’ve ever heard one.
I laughed at the fact that just about every person between the ages of 15 and 32 said they don’t like liars, posers, misconceptions of the truth, and stereotypes. I laughed because that’s the “digital native” generation — a group that has seen massive amounts of lies and misinformation from individuals and institutions come across their computer screens, phones, and televisions since they were born.

Being a product of that generation, I understand.
When I turned their responses around, asking them if they ever lie or cheat, every single person admitted to the same offenses.

I understand this too. I tell a lie every now and then. I’m not proud of it, but I’m human.

And in the end, that’s what this project brought to the light: We’re all human. With human concerns. And human reactions.
While approaching people at random, I noticed something: Most people’s first instinct was to acknowledge the anger caused by the actions of other humans. This was surprising — I had expected people to name some of the bigger, overarching problems facing our society today: income inequality, San Francisco’s tech bubble, police brutality, public transportation, the city’s housing crisis.

But instead, a large majority of folks commented on their relationships, their emotions, and their feelings. More often than not, people told me about being lied to or betrayed by a trusted “friend.” A number of people in customer service roles discussed “how to deal with people.” The common thread was about how people treat people.

There was the woman who didn’t like when people litter. There was the guy who didn’t like people talking behind his back. There was Kathy, who gets annoyed by the homeless folks who camp out in her coffee shop and Carlos, who gets mad when people ask him where the bathroom is. The skaters kids were mad at the scooter kids; other teens were frustrated by people who don’t listen, people who don’t pay attention, fake people.

People. That’s the root of other people’s anger. What are people going to do about it? That’s the question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wildlife conservation on ice: frozen zoos to save animals

  On the edge: Disease and habitat loss is decimating wild amphibian populations globally, with more than 200 species needing urgent intervention through captive breeding, says Dr. Simon Clulow. In a south-eastern suburb in Melbourne, there’s a zoo. It has no visitors, and there are no animals anywhere inside it. Rather, the Australian Frozen Zoo houses living cells and genetic material from Australian native and rare and exotic species. This place, and others like it, could be a big part of the future of conservation. Department of Biological Sciences’ Simon Clulow and his colleagues make the case for ‘biobanking’ in a recent piece in Conservation Letters. Clulow is keen to stress that this doesn’t mean getting rid of conventional zoos or captive breeding programs. “Captive breeding has had some wonderful successes, and there will always be a huge place for it,” he says. PhD student and lead author Lachlan Howell agrees. “It was captive breeding that brought the giant panda back from

Insects are terrified of fish

ScienceDaily   — The mere presence of a predator causes enough stress to kill a dragonfly, even when the predator cannot actually get at its prey to eat it, say biologists at the University of Toronto. "How prey respond to the fear of being eaten is an important topic in ecology, and we've learned a great deal about how these responses affect predator and prey interactions," says Professor Locke Rowe, chair of the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (EEB) and co-principal investigator of a study conducted at U of T's Koffler Scientific Reserve. "As we learn more about how animals respond to stressful conditions -- whether it's the presence of predators or stresses from other natural or human-caused disruptions -- we increasingly find that stress brings a greater risk of death, presumably from things such as infections that normally wouldn't kill them," says Rowe. Shannon McCauley, a post-doctoral fellow, and EEB professo

Nasa’s Mars perseverance “Kodiak” moment – Jezero Crater’s Lake is more complicated and intriguing than thought

The escarpment the science team refers to as “Scarp a” is seen in this image captured by Perseverance rover’s Mastcam-Z instrument on April 17, 2021. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU/MSSS Pictures from NASA’s latest six-wheeler on the Red Planet suggest the area’s history experienced significant flooding events. A new paper from the science team of NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover details how the hydrological cycle of the now-dry lake at Jezero Crater is more complicated and intriguing than originally thought. The findings are based on detailed imaging the rover provided of long, steep slopes called escarpments, or scarps in the delta, which formed from sediment accumulating at the mouth of an ancient river that long ago fed the crater’s lake. The images reveal that billions of years ago, when Mars had an atmosphere thick enough to support water flowing across its surface, Jezero’s fan-shaped river delta experienced late-stage flooding events that carried rocks and debris into it from the hi